a) Part of the “Souls” series
b) A dark, exciting gothic adventure
c) The best reason for owning a PS4
d) All of the above
The answer is, well, all of that and more. Bloodborne, previously known as “Project Beast”, is the next game from Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of Demon’s and Dark Souls, two of my favorite games which are also, two of the hardest, most fun games committed to console. I try to ignore Dark Souls II because frankly it wasn’t directed by Miyazaki and suffered greatly. In short, it was crap in comparison. But let’s forget about the past and concentrate on the future.
And now…eighteen glorious minutes of Bloodborne from what I can assume is the close-to-final version, care of IGN. Watch, and then discover the similarities Bloodborne shares with the rest of the Souls universe.
1. A series staple: waking up without a clue in a vicious world that wants to eat your liver for lunch.
2. Push “X” to open door. Yup, it’s a Souls game (or any game for that matter).
3. Enemies attacking you before you’re prepared. This happened at the start of Dark Souls II.
4. “You Died” – the worst game over screen ever, part of every Souls game.
5. A nexus world, last seen in Demon’s Souls
6. A far more refined inventory screen. But what is “blood ATK”, “Blood Echoes”, “insight” and “Bloodtinge”? So much blood!
7. Again, a much better-looking quick inventory system.
8. A first, being able to buy AND sell. You could sell items in Dark Souls II, but it was seen as a hidden feature, as only one random NPC could do this.
9. Teleporting – it’s available from the get-go.
10. Blood tranfusions – here’s the currency of the game. No souls, just pints of blood!
11. Doors that open real slow and creaky-like…check.
12. Discovering fireplaces (savepoints).
13. The Blood Vial: I’m guessing this is the Estus Flask of Bloodborne
14. It’s very bloody. Did we mention how utterly soaked in gore it is? Makes a nice change from the blood-free Dark Souls II. Yeah, I really disliked Dark Souls II.
15. You ain’t got no shield, but foes do.
16. See this backstab animation here? There should be a cleaver in that hand. I’m guessing this bug From Software will work out before launch on 24 March.
17. Your “defense” is a shotgun, not a shield. I look forward to mixing this up in combat.
18. Wierdo NPCs – what’s a Souls series without them? Also, she/he/it mentions that there are “no humans left”. Whatever does it mean?
19. Yet another fireplace found.
20. Who is this German (Am I spelling this correctly)? He just wants you to kill ’cause you know “It’s just what Hunters do.”
21. Fireplaces are actually workshops in the game. The Hunters Dream (hub world) will keep it all nicely together.
22. It ends with a nice easy boss fight, which the IGN player can’t seem to beat, most likely for the purposes of this video. Looks easy enough. Roll, attack, repeat.
We’ll find out more as the days tick down to 24 March, Bloodborne’s release date.
All images via IGN